Week #2

Entering class on Tuesday, I thought that we were just going to discuss the reading like any other class.  But I was surprised to find out that we weren’t going to do that.  Instead, we had to write one thing that we learned, one thing that we were surprised about, and one question that we had about the reading on a piece of paper.  We then were going to go around the class and state one of the those areas to have the discussion about the readings that were assigned to us.  I thought this strategy was different, but affective.  Everyone in the class talked about one of the things they wrote down and each topic brought about a class discussion on the readings.  I would just like to say that I believe that is a great and new way to discuss readings.

One of the first articles that I read was, “The National Reading Panel: Five Components of Reading Instruction Frequently Asked Questions.”  Looking at this article, I would have to say that yes, those are very good questions and they should be frequently asked.  I can say that I did not know what all of those topics were, but I know now and I’m glad that I do.  Each of those questions are very important to understanding literacy and becoming better at literacy.  I just think that it is great that some one would take time to answer all of these important questions and put them all together.  I know that I learned from reading this article. 

The next article that I read was, “Phonics, Whole Processes Determine Reading Speed.”  In this article, there is discussion with professors that measured the reading rates of 11 adult readers.  This test examined three reading processes that contribute to reading speed: 1) phonics, in which words are decoded letter by letter; 2) holistic word recognition, in which words are recognized by their shape; and 3) whole language, in which words are recognized by the context of the sentences.  Phonics accounted to 62%, both holistic and word recognition was 16% and whole-language processes was 22% of reading speed.  I have to agree that phonics would account for so much of reading speed.  Phonics is such an important part of the writen word.  Phonics is the relationship between a specific letter and its sound, only as it relates to the written word.  I think that it is good that they did this study so people know what contributes more to reading speed.  This way teachers know what to teach more of so students can read literature faster.

I also found an interesting article entitled, “Alabama Plan Brings Out Cry of Resegregation.”  It says that there was  complaining about schools in Tuscaloosa, Ala. by white parents in that racially mixed city.  The school authorities quickly tried to rezone the school district and in doing so almost all of the hundreds of kids required to move were black.  They go on to say that these students were virtually all-black, low performing schools.   The parents of the black students are saying that it isn’t right to move their kids to schools that are bad from schools that are good.  The school board is saying that race has nothing to do with the rezoning plan but there has to be something done.  The article continues to discuss both sides of the case, along with some other things.  I think that this decision is wrong.  I know that the rezoning plan most likely had nothing to do with the race of the students, but the school should know that if they did it this way there would be people saying segregation.  What should be done would be to split the schools population of the races as evenly as they possibly could so no one could say that this decision was unfair.  But it does look interesting when the white parents are saying the schools are too crowded and the black students are the ones that are removed.  Like I said before, I think that this decision was a bad decision by the school.  I hope that things get sorted out before something bad happens because no one wants to think that there still is segregation going on in this great country of ours.

One thought on “Week #2

1. The resegregation thing is a really interesting issue, especially in light that we already live in a defacto segegrated world (look at RCSD). The Tuscaloosa case is catching heat because it’s making the situation obvious.